Thursday, October 30, 2008

National Fatwa Council to make a ruling on yoga

GEORGE TOWN: The National Fatwa Council will soon come out with a ruling on yoga exercise.

The Islamic Development Department’s deputy director-general (operations) Othman Mustapha said the council’s chairman, Prof Datuk Dr Abdul Shukor Husin, would make the announcement.

Othman told reporters this after opening the two-day seminar on Islamic Jurisprudence and Eternal Islamic Thinking at Universiti Sains Malaysia here yesterday.

On Tuesday, lecturer Prof Zakaria Stapa of Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia’s Islamic Studies Centre advised Muslims who have taken up yoga to stop practising it as it could deviate from their belief. – Bernama



I wonder what makes them think that yoga deviates muslim's belief? yoga practise is not only about exercising your body and mind, but also teaches effective breathing methods. yoga is a very good alternative way of exercising for those people who has less enthutiasm in intensive workout such as cycling, jogging, rock climbing, diving, mountain-biking, and etc. I started yoga in year 2006 (out of curiousity n to challenge myself) but slowly it has become one of my hobby in my workout schedule. Well, I found it not only can release my stress but also can stretch away all my muscle pain due to those jogging n combat fighting. I'm not sure how yoga can actually deviates someone's belief as I'm not a Muslim and I'm not familiar abt Muslim's laws n pantang but for sure is there are already so many people benefit from yoga practice around this world!!! And for you, life is yours, body is yours, you can choose what is best for you. I'm sure I already did.

And for those who agrees with our Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia’s Islamic Studies Centre lecturer Prof Zakaria Stapa, pls read below:

The Muslim prayer has five positions and each of the five prayer positions has a corresponding yoga position, and the positions together “activate” all seven “chakras” (energy fields) in the body. The idea of activating a chakra may sound linguistically strange, but it is easier to understand once one translates that word into more familiar language. This simple form of “yoga” offers physical, mental, and spiritual benefits five times a day as Muslims assume certain positions while reciting Qur’an and athkar (remembrances).
For more info, pls browse through http://198.65.147.194/English/Science/2001/01/article6.shtml

No comments: